The largely successful placebo, which has been used on many people, has been in the scientific world for many years. The placebo, which has no effect but has a psychological effect, can be administered to the body in many places. Placebo means: to please in Latin . The Turkish word comes from the fact that a person thinks that he is taking medicine, but does not know that it is not a real medicine, and that the medicine he thinks is real responds to the treatment. What about the placebo effect, what does it do? Let’s see together.
What is the Placebo Effect?
We briefly mentioned it in the section above. Let’s go into more detail here. People have been struggling with diseases since their existence and looking for solutions to many diseases. However, the treatment of some diseases may not work or the treatment may not be found yet. However, sometimes diseases or wounds can have a psychological solution. The placebo effect is one of them, there are many observations against the placebo effect that reduces the pain of an illness.
Since a patient takes a pill or injection that has no effect on the treatment, if you tell him that this drug will cure you, you can see that the pain of the patients is greatly reduced. These drugs can be given with examples such as salt water, sugar pills. Even fake surgeries are sometimes performed in placebo therapy . A placebo, which makes the patient feel good, may not always work or may adversely react and make it worse.
Here, we learned that placebo is a relief, works in some diseases, can cause adverse reactions in some diseases, and they are not a real medicine. But there is one issue that we would like to underline. Although the placebo effect provides treatment from unreal drugs, it is not a treatment method used to deceive patients, but a method used to make patients feel better . In addition, even if a placebo makes cancer patients feel better during their treatment process, it is not a drug, so there is no such thing as shrinking the tumor in problems such as tumors .
What Does a Placebo Do?
We explained what the placebo effect is and what it isn’t. But what exactly does the placebo effect do? The placebo effect makes patients feel better psychologically and eliminates some of the problems in patients. You can find some historical examples of this below.
- In World War II, morphine was first used against injured patients so that the patient’s pain would be relieved. However, an anesthesiologist who did not have morphine on hand, said that he had morphine and injected the injured with salt water. As a result, it was observed that the pain in the injured patients decreased.
- It has been observed that it is effective up to 66% in lung diseases such as asthma.
- It was observed that the pain of cancer patients decreased.
- It was observed that the placebo effect used in patients suffering from insomnia , patients stated that they slept better after a while.
- Generally, it was found that the symptoms were reduced in diseases such as headache, nausea and depression.
After examining some examples of the placebo effect, it should be said that it will also be used in marketing. So much so that expensive drugs or other products are said to be more successful than cheap products. Placebo is also used in vaccine trials. In other words, placebo, which manifests itself in many areas, makes the brain work differently. Finally, let’s say that the placebo effect is used for bad purposes as in every field. So much so that it is the main source of many charlatans and pseudoscientists.